A Brief guide to HRT and Supplements
The two important female hormones are progesterone and estrogen, from the ovaries. With menopause, the ovaries produce very small amounts of these hormones.
- The hormones estrogen and progesterone can be given in different ways and come in different preparations
- If non hormonal remedies have failed, there are prescription medications available
- Despite the bad press in recent years, there is still a place for hormone replacement therapy
- Different preparations are metabolized differently and have different side effect profiles
- Choice of medication will depend on individual medical risk, symptoms, previous hysterectomy and personal choice
Potential risks: increased blood pressure, increased risks of developing blood clots, and breast cancer